(Annie Black) – As I reported to you yesterday morning, Democrats tried to kill my bill (ACR2) calling for the Legislature to end Gov. Sisolak’s “Declaration of Emergency” by placing it on the Chief Clerk’s desk rather than assigning it to a committee for hearing.
So I prepared to go on the floor of the Assembly again yesterday and call for the bill to be released from the Clerk’s desk and sent to a committee for a hearing. However…
I’m happy to tell you the bill was released before the floor session started!
ACR2 has been taken OFF the Clerk’s desk by unanimous consent and assigned to the Legislative Operations and Election Committee chaired by Assemblywoman Brittney Miller.
Now we wait to see if/when the Chairwoman will schedule a hearing on it.
Granted, this is just a small victory. We have a long way to go. But a victory nonetheless.
And shows what can happen when Republicans, despite being in the minority, actually stand up and fight rather than simply roll over and give up.
It also shows what’s possible when voters become actively involved in the process.
Make no mistake. Your calls and emails, as well as social media posts, had a BIG impact on moving this bill out of its Siberian exile. THANK YOU.
Next, let’s get the doors to the Legislature unlocked and let the people back into the people’s house! Here’s my prepared statement on that which I intend to deliver today…
Dr. Jay Bhattacharya of Stanford University recently said the COVID-19 lockdowns are “the single worst public health mistake in the last 100 years.”
An op-ed by Phillipe Lemoine in the Wall Street Journal last week argued that “Lockdowns can destroy the economy, but it’s starting to look as if they have minimal effect on the spread of COVID-19.”
An editorial in Sunday’s Las Vegas Review-Journal concludes that “at this point, the long-term lockdown experiment appears to have been an expensive failure.”
And the Associated Press reported last week that “California and Florida have experienced almost identical outcomes in COVID-19 case rates,” despite the fact that California imposed strict lockdowns rules and Florida did not.
Lockdowns clearly don’t work.
Which is why I again urge my colleagues to stop locking Nevadans out of the Legislature. It’s THEIR building, not ours, and it’s time to let the people back into the people’s house.
Thank you, Mr. Speaker.
Yes, it’s an uphill battle. Yes, being in the minority means we’re going to lose more battles than we’re gonna win. Does that mean we shouldn’t fight? Does that mean we should just give up?
I’ve quoted hockey great Wayne Gretzky before and I’ll do it again: “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”
I’m gonna keep taking shots. You with me?
P.S. Oh, and Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Laughter IS the Best Medicine
Here are some slightly altered sayings (author unknown) forwarded to me by an AnnieGram subscriber to brighten your day…
- Where there’s a will, I want to be in it.
- The last thing I want to do is hurt you …but it’s still on my list.
- Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
- If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
- We never really grow up – we only learn how to act in public.
- War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
- Knowledge, is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
- To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
- I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
- In filling out an application, where it says, “In case of an emergency, notify…” I answered “a doctor.”
- Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
- You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
- I used to be indecisive, but now I’m not so sure.
- To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
- Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian, any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
- You’re never too old to learn something stupid.
- I’m supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
Which is your favorite? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
QUOTES OF THE DAY
“Want to wear a mask? Wear one. Want to get a vaccine? Get one. Want to stay in your house? Stay there. Want to avoid your family? Avoid them. Want me to do the same? No.” – Jeremy Boreing
“Public employee salaries in Nevada have reached dizzying heights. Just spend a few minutes on TransparentNevada.com. In 2019, the last year complete data is available, around 300 government workers in Nevada raked in more than $300,000 a year in total compensation. More than 3,400 workers made in excess of $200,000, including benefits.” – Las Vegas Review-Journal editorial, 3/13/21
Annie Black is the Nevada State Assemblywoman representing District 19. You can get more information by visiting www.electannieblack.com